Saturday 10 November 2012

Reed making update

This week seems to have been incredibly busy - no time for blogging, practice took priority!I have been inspired to kick start my reed making again since the Double Reed making.  I had stalled a bit since summer.  I have been making more of an effort to play on my own reeds while practising and have been a little more ruthless with the reeds that I couldn't get to work.  I picked up a lovely craft case from Hobby Craft to store things in and a beautiful new reed case from Crowthers.   It has been very handy to be able to easily transport everything I need from one room to another so I can still be sociable while tying on.

The reeds in the box are all my own handiwork - there are three that I've been playing on with another 4 ready to start blowing in to test and another 4 just able to crow.   Fortunately room for another 12 on the other side of the box so will be tying on another 2 soon.  Here's a closer look.


I've found the Making Oboe Reeds DVD really helpful and I like the systematic approach to where and how much to scrape off.  They seem to be improving but I still have a long way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment