Tuesday 9 April 2013

Exciting Cor Anglais news

My exciting news for this week is that I have a Cor Anglais on approval!   It is a second hand Howarth S5 which was previously owned by a professional oboist who once played with the Halle Orchestra.  It is a beautiful instrument!

Last week my oboe was having a full service so all my practice was done on the Cor which really forced me to spend time playing with it - a good thing.

There have been some difficulties: I have found it more tiring playing it than my oboe - partly because of the weight and partly due to the increased amount of air required through it.  I think that would get better with practice.   I also think the thumb rest is in the wrong place for my hands as I find it quite uncomfortable to play unless I support the weight of the instrument elsewhere.  My handy music stand shelf has come in quite useful as I have been resting the bell on that while I play.  I think this is fixable though - the position of the thumb rest can be moved and I can also look at different types of support.  I need to work with my teacher to work out the best fingering for some of the high notes as I am struggling with anything over Eb.

On the plus side - it sounds absolutely beautiful and I love playing it.

Last week I focussed on playing through things (and working on my lesson pieces), now I have my oboe back for normal practice I have decided to be a little more specific in my Cor playing.  I am focussing on long notes with a tuner, slow scales with a tuner and playing through the slow Ferling studies. 

I am taking it to my lesson on Monday before making a final decision but I think there is a strong chance that I will be buying this - pictures will follow when (if?) it is mine. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment