Thursday 8 March 2012

Practice really does work - a reminder

My lesson last night seemed to whizz past really quickly last night, some weeks they just do.  Most pleasing was my Study (no11).  It was very different to the previous ones, slower, shorter but with lots of trills to get both my head and fingers around - all in Db major as well which isn't the nicest key to play in at the best of  time.  I particularly liked being able to see a definite and substantial improvement over the two weeks I practiced it.  I know that practice leads to imrpovement but sometimes it can be so gradual to be imperceptible over a short period of time.  It can be quite dispiriting sometimes, especially as awareness and sensitivity to shortcomings often grows at a faster rate than skill which makes it feel like I'm gradually getting worse rather than better!  This study was one that I definitely couldn't play to start with, the trills needed so much thought to work out which fingers I should be trilling and then how to do the turn aruond at the end.  The trills themselves were uneven and at one point I felt like I would never put it all together.   But somehow in that two weeks something clicked, my finger muscles developed and something slowly changed so that it changed from something I couldn't play to something I could.  It certainly wasn't perfect, there is still plenty of room for improvemet but it was a long way from  where it was two weeks ago.  Which just shows that practice is really doing something, even when it feels like it isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment