Friday 27 July 2012

Summer plans

Oboe lessons are finished for the Summer.  It will be 6 weeks before they restart.  I avoid going away in school holidays as much as possible - so practice will continue as (nearly) normal.  My teacher hasn't particuarly set me additional work over the summer so there is a chance to add in a few extras and focus on some more fun things.

Practice this week has been good so far.  I feel recovered from my illness, which was sapping my energy, and my general playing is much improved now that I am not preparing to play in front of people!

So this is what I am doing:

1. Technical work - I've put together a tick box for this to help make sure I'm covering all aspects regularly.  It is based on an articulation one that my teacher did for me.  I find it helpful as I can record which exercises I've done, metronome speeds, scale of the day etc.  I spent some time yesterday doing slow broken arpeggios, trying to make them as legato and smooth as possible with no bumps at the change of note or register.  It is very difficult but I think I made a small amount of progress!

2. Studies - my teacher told me to look at Luft 23.  This one is harder than it looks.  There are 6 sharps in the key signature and I was very confused as it why it didn't seem to be in F# major.  It only clicked last night that a number of the B's are also sharpened and it is actually in C#major with 7 sharps. No wonder it makes my brain ache.  I think I can just about cope with 6 sharps in the key signature but adding additional accidentals just tips it over the edge.  It shouldn't take 6 weeks to sort it out though so I may have a look at number 24 too.  For a little light relief I'm playing through the studies I've already covered - both Luft and Ferling - to remind myself of how they go and also so I can make note of which studies are particularly useful for certain techincal difficulties.

3. Pieces - only 3 to look at for my lessons. Orinetale - the final miniature, Telemann Fantasia no 4, Hindemith Sonata 2nd movement.  All progressing at the moment.

4. Revision - I'm going through my music and pulling out pieces that I've covered in my lessons over the last 3 years.   It shows me how far I've progressed - bits I found hard I can sometimes now do easily. It's also just nice to have time to play pieces for fun!

This week i have been playing:
Britten - Metamophoses (4 out of the 6).  I love these so much - I should play them everyday!
Albinoni - Concerto in D, opus 7 no 6.  I played the first 2 movements for my Grade 7 exam.
Cimerosa - Concerto.  This is tricky, I may do some more work on this.
Fiocco - Ariosa.  I played this at the Adult learner's event last summer, lovely piece of music!

Hoepfully over the summer I will have chance to do more reed making too!

I am sure that it will be September before I know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment