Thursday 12 July 2012

Change of pace

It's felt very difficult this term to gain any sort of momentum in my oboe practice.  There has always been something to interrupt consecutive days of playing. It has felt quite frustrating, always seeming to be going back a step or treading water rather than moving forward.

At the end of June we had a long weekend away - which was lovely but another 3 days off.  When I came back it felt like a huge struggle to play and I managed barely longer than 30 minutes for the next 2 days.  However the next day I was off work sick, which probably explains why I felt so tired.   It was 3 days before I could face picking up  my instrument again but I was obviously feeling much better as I managed my usual practice time on the first attempt, despite nearly a week of next to no practice.  Six days later I now feel like I am on a roll again with the next few weeks looking fairly clear for keeping going and I am beginning to see progress again.

Another effect of my sickness was that I had a to cancel my oboe lesson, my teacher then told me she couldn't do this week's lesson.  So rather than having 3 lessons before summer holidays I now only have one!  Not very good news, but on the positive side it has given me a couple of additional weeks to prepare for my next lesson.  I've been surprised at how much that has taken the pressure off practice times. I don't have to play every pieces every session. I  can take my time over the lesson preparation and spend more time preparing pieces for both the Adult Learner's Concert and the Garden Party.  The change of pace has been good for me.  I need to remember that over the summer break and take time to revisit old repertoire and previous studies.  It could be good to take things at a slightly more relaxed pace, ready to tackle lessons in September more refreshed and ready to go back on the treadmill.

In other news I took my piano exam at the end of June and, last week, found out that I passed it with distinction! I am very pleased for lots of  reasons that are probably a blog post all on their own.  Needless to say it meant a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment