Monday 21 May 2012

Concert, Gershwin, Reeds

The concert on Saturday went well I think.  The venue was lovely, my reed worked and we had a good turn out.  One of my friend's came to see me and she really enjoyed it, which was lovely.  I quite enjoyed it in the end but I didn't really engage with the pieces in the same way I had at other concerts and it did feel as if we hadn't really had enough weeks to practice.  Some of the pieces still felt slightly unfamiliar, which was rather disconcerting.  I think - aside from the Elgar - my favourite bits were the second movement of the Arnold Suite and the Britten dances.  We have two more rehearsals before summer break, though I can only make the first one.  I am looking forward to seeing what we do.

On Sunday I felt a bit overplayed so I didn't do a proper practice session.  But I did have a look at Gershwin's American in Paris which I am playing in an Orchestral playday in June.  I have been looking at bits of it but I had a go playing it with a You Tube recording for the first time.  It really is very difficult.  It actually made me feel rather stressed about the whole event because I know that there are bits that are just beyond me.  I think I need to make this a priority for practice over the next few weeks.  But one of the biggest problems is the speed of articulation required - which I have been working on but is not a quick fix.

I also picked up my reed making again.  I had a go at sharpening my reed knives - reasonably successfully I think.  I began scraping the three reeds I tied on a couple of weeks ago and very soon had 3 cracked reeds.  I'm not sure if it was a problem with tying on, not soaking enough before trying to scrape or just a bad batch of cane. I probably need to do the initial scrape immediately after tying on though when I know that the cane is well and truly soaked through.    I will do some more tying on later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment