Sunday 12 February 2012

Mozart difficulties

Practice has been going well so far this week - mainly focussing on Luft Study  and the Mozart.  My teacher currently has my Telemann - she is writing in some articulation and I'll get it back tomorrow at orchestra rehearsal.  Scales and technical exercises are ongoing.  I am trying to push my long notes to be slightly longer to gain more control over my dynamics and improve my stamina.

Luft No 10 is beginning to come together note wise, there are a few sections that just don't go as I expect - so I have spent some time today trying to get the right notes into my head to help my fingers go to the right place.  There is a section in the middle where there are near chromatic runs up and down the octave.  It would be easy if it was really chromatic, but there is a sneaky tone in the middle, and each one seems to be slightly different.  There are also come large interval sections with leaps of more than 2 octaves which are interesting to say the least.

The Mozart piece has also been proving quite challenging.  I am not sure if it is a good thing to know a piece before learning how to play it - it has certainly made it easier to learn the notes, but it also makes it more tempting to dive straight in and try and try to play it up to speed too soon.  Either way,  the difference between the music in my head and that coming out of my instrument seems very large at the moment.  Mozart is deceptively hard to play well on any instrument- it requires lightness, a sense of effortlessness and absolute precision in articulation and dynamic control.  I'm sure it will do me good in the end.

I've also been listening to Rite of Spring on You Tube.  The only thing I can say is "oh my word..."  It will be interesting to see how it goes, I'm hoping that - like the Mahler - it will be easier to follow with a conductor.

No comments:

Post a Comment