Tuesday 3 April 2012

1-2, 1-2-3, 1-2,1-2,1-2-3, 1-2-3-4

I had another Rite of Spring rehearsal last night. I think it's starting to click a bit.  One of the more experienced players was claiming it was easy, "you just need to count."  Just?  Well maybe.  I can nearly manage the counting as long as I don't have to play any notes at the same time.

 It did make me realise that most of the time I don't count - I rely on feeling the pulse and the rhythm often just slots in quite easily. I rarely have to think about it very consciously except when counting rest bars and even then I find I a physical action such as putting fingers on my instrument more reliable than counting in my head.  Unfortunately that isn't good enough for this.  I need to actually count. In my head. All the time. And play at the same time.  It was beginning to get there at the end, it felt less like guesswork and following the person next to me and more knowing when I should play.  It's getting there.

No comments:

Post a Comment