Friday 27 April 2012

Nearly back to normal...

I had a great lesson last night.  The Luft studies are definitely improving my technique which is sounding much less clunky, I need to work on maintaining tuning through out though.  It was very obvious that my support was going when I was running out of air leading to a drop in pitch - very slight but still noticeable.  This also happened when I took a breath too quickly and didn't quite reset everything.  I need to practice playing through more while focussing on maintaining my tuning.

We also did some work on articulation - I have some exercises to do with scales and metronome to clean up and speed up my tongueing.  They mainly revolve around repeating each note with different rhythms with the metronome and trying to push it up.  This is definitely a weakness and should help sort out some of the raggedy areas in the Mozart Quartet.

Tomorrow we are going to London and I have a visit to the UK oboists Mecca, more commonly known as Howarths of London.  I have a long list of reed making supplies that I would like to buy, my teacher also suggested that I pick up the Hindemith Sonata. I'm looking forward to having a good browse.

I then, sadly, have an oboe-less week as we are going on holiday.  After that things are definitely going back to some sort of normality, well maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment