Monday 2 April 2012

Easter break

Last Wednesday was my last lesson before Easter.  I can understand why my teacher has to work to school terms - she has a busy schedule and really needs the break.  But it can occassionally be frustrating for me, as my life and work definitely doesn't revolve around school times. The worst is the summer - 6 weeks of no lessons and usually no time off work.  Of course it also means that when I want to take my own holidays (definitely not in school holidays) I am then missing yet another lesson.  Ho hum.

Having said that, I am quite pleased to have a break this Easter.  It is quite nice to have less pressure to do "proper practice"  I have fewer things to work through which means that I now have time to do some focussed practice on Rite of Spring and, maybe more importantly, just play through pieces that I've learned but moved on from.  To play music for pure enjoyment, without worrying about stopping to sort out that awkward bit.  I've been picking a piece a day to go through, initially for fun but it definitely has some other benefits.  It's brought home how much we have actually covered - some of which I had forgotten about!  I love coming across those bits that were really tricky, or clunky or difficult and realise that I can now play them quite easily - well some of them anyway.  Playing pieces all the way through is also playing dividends on my stamina and breathing.  All good...I think I need to think about using the Summer break in a similar way - and maybe finding some people to play Chamber music with.  It's good to have a break from constant practising without reducing my playing so that I can start in the new term more refreshed.

No comments:

Post a Comment