Thursday 26 April 2012

New term

It still surprises me how much the school calendar dictates the ebb and flow of my life - even though I have no real connection to the education system anymore.  The Easter holiday's are over and term has begun again.  I didn't particularly have any time off work - bar the Bank holidays but it did affect oboe lessons and to an extent practice.  When routines are disrupted, practice doesn't escape the effect.  But now it's a new term.  My first lesson was last week and it wasn't particularly good, I was struggling with a new reed and had had a long day at work.  Hopefully can start again this week....continuing with the Luft studies and Telemann and Mozart.  It would lovely to have something new to work on.

The Rite of Spring performance was also last week - with practice on Monday, Friday and Saturday afternoon followed by concert on Saturday evening it seemed to dominate the whole week.  I quite enjoyed it in the end, I managed to follow the parts and be familiar enough with the music to know when to come in pretty reliably.  The performance was OK - some bits were a bit ropey but there were also some good bits, we started together, we finished together and the general pauses were generally silent.  It was certainly a good experience for me and I learned a lot about orchestral playing.  I am quite glad to get it out of the way though - now to look toward the May concert and Orchestral playday in June. 

No comments:

Post a Comment