Monday 9 January 2012

First practice of the year

Good 45 minute practice today following nearly 2 weeks holiday.  My stamina and tone was better than expected and a number of things seem to have fallen into  place during the break.

I spent quite a bit of time on Luft Study no 6 - the hardest thing about these studies is stamina, and finding somewhere to breathe, and making it sound like music instead of an endurance test.  But it the notes feel a bit more secure now, and my brain seems to have sorted out the tricky section going up in thirds while I've been away.  Need a bit more work on making the final 2 notes sound a bit nicer, and less flat.

Rest of practice was playing through pieces for lesson on Wednesday and also had play through some sections of the oboe 3 part for Mahler Symphony no 3.  Again my brain seems to have sorted out some of the fiddly bits and I could manage to get through the section in 6 flats without tying my brain in knots.

I also did some vibrato practice.  This needs to be my main goal for this term.  I would really like to develop a vibrato which feels more natural and is more integrated into my tone.  It has definitely improved over the last couple of months - just need to keep going

No comments:

Post a Comment