Wednesday 11 January 2012

Still nervous after all these years...

First oboe lesson since Christmas today.  I don't know why it is, but I still get slightly nervous playing  in music lessons and it is always the first lesson after a break that is the worst.  I don't remember it being like this when I was a child, and, to be honest, I had far more cause to be nervous then due to my tendency to wing it on the day rather than actually practice.  I know that I practice diligently now, I get on well with my teacher, she has never given me any reason to be nervous but I still find myself making stupid mistakes and playing as if I had never seen the instrument before.  Talking to other adult learners, this is not unusual, it is still frustrating though.  Having said all that, I still enjoyed my lesson - my vibrato is improving and I need to work on increasing my dynamic range.

Pieces to practice this week:
Luft Study No 7 (new study)
Richardson French Suite No 2 (new piece)
Reizenstein Concert Pieces No 3 (continued from last lesson)
Binge The Watermill (continued from last lesson still focussing on bringing out vibrato)

Music to buy: Telemann Fantasias

No comments:

Post a Comment