Monday 16 January 2012

Mahler Symphony no 3 part 1

Yesterday I had my first rehearsal with my teacher's orchestra.  We were rehearsing from 10:30 to 16:00 so I was worried my lip would collapse by the end of it.  In fact, most of my time was spent counting rests and then failing to come in at the right time or not being able to make my oboe work when I needed to come in, (that improved as the day went on and I settled down a bit) so I don't feel like I did very much playing at all!  It was an interesting experience though - it felt very different to my normal orchestra, and most of the focus was on getting details right rather than worrying about coming in at the right time, and playing the right notes.  The whole process felt very intense, efficient and quick moving.  The day seemed to fly by.  I think it will be OK on the night. There are a couple of bits I need to really practice this week as they went so much faster than I've been playing them but no exposed bits to worry about and for that I am very thankful, as it felt nerve wracking enough without.

Next rehearsal on Friday.




No comments:

Post a Comment