Wednesday 18 January 2012

why knowing your scales is a good thing

Regular orchestra practice again last night, our conductor is back from holiday too.  We are doing a selection of Russian music for our next concert.  It has had a mixed reception, some players really don't like it all, some are finding it a bit too difficult - personally I am one of the many who really love it.  I should probably admit that I am actually quite ignorant about classical music.  I didn't do music GCSE or Alevel and I don't really listen to a lot of classical being more of an "Indie Chick."  Generally I know a few standard things and I'm trying to educate myself on oboe repertoire but as far as orchestral music goes - I know the stuff that I've played.   So I've found it quite educational having a program of all Russian music to help give me a feel for the shared characteristics.

 Last night we were initially focussing on Borodin's Petite Suite.  We played one of the Mazurka's (3rd movement) which is fairly straight forward and had our first attempt at the Scherzo of the final movement.  This wasn't quite so straightfoward initially, I am not very good at sightreading large numbers of accidentals - especially when they include double sharps - but it came together in the end once we realised that they were all simple chromantics.  It was a good example of why knowing your scales is very useful. 

After the break we looked at parts of Tchaikowsky's Sleeping Beauty Suite.  It gave me some good articulation practice having to do repeated semi quavers for bars in 6/8.  There is a nice oboe solo bit in the last movement and it is good fun to play. Though I am finding it very difficult not to sing along to the main theme with the words from the Disney version.  So maybe it isn't just stuff I've played that I know - also pieces used in adverts and Disney films.
Lesson tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment