Tuesday 24 January 2012

Mahler Symphony No 3 Part 3

It has taken me a few days to recover from Saturday.  I don't think I mentioned it earlier, but this was the biggest and most accomplished orchestra I've ever played with.  It was also the most difficult orchestral piece I've ever been part of.  The other oboists were far more competent than me, two of them are oboe teachers.  But despite this, they were very supportive and encouraging.  So, to summarise, it felt unlike anything I'd ever done before and I found it an amazing experience.  The sound from within the orchestra is different from being in the audience, you can pick up so many more of the intricacies, the interweaving of the parts.  By the time of the performance I had worked out which bits I needed to count and which I could just relax and listen to.  There were certainly some spine tingly moments for me, and the final chord really felt quite emotional.

In terms of my own playing, I think it was the best I'd managed the part, and I felt like I did OK.  It was good, and worth all the hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment